The department for Social Development makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred on it by Article 65A(1) and (2) and Article 73(1) of the Private Tenancies (Northern Ireland) Order 2006(1)
1. The regulations may be cited as the Landlord Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 and shall come into operation on 2014
2. In the Regulations:-
· “the register” means the register of landlords of dwelling-houses let under a private tenancy;
· “the registrar” means the person appointed by the Department to establish and maintain the register;
· “authorised officer” means an officer of the district council, the Department of Finance and Personnel or the Northern Ireland Housing Executive authorised in writing
· “landlord” includes a person acting on behalf of the landlord in relation to a tenancy.
3. (1) A landlord letting a dwelling-house must register with the registrar in accordance with paragraph (2)
(2) A Landlord must:-
· Provide the information set out in Schedule 1; and
· At the same time, pay the fee prescribed in Schedule (3)
4. A landlord must register in accordance with Regulation 3 either immediately prior to the letting of a new tenancy, within 12 months from the commencement of these regulations.
5. (1) Registration under regulation 3 shall be for a period of 3 years.
(2) At the end of each 3 year period, a landlord shall:-
· Supply to the registrar such information as may be necessary to ensure that the information supplied for the purpose of regulation 3 is accurate at the date of that supply; and
· Pay the fee for continued registration specified in Schedule 3.
6. The registrar must:-
(a) Develop and maintain a landlord registration system capable of both electronic and non-electronic operation which:-
· Allows for the disclosure of information to the persons specified in regulation and;
· Enables a landlord to make amendments or adjustments to registered details held;
(b) Promote and publicise the requirement to a landlord register;
(c) Provide guidance on how the registration system works and how to register;
(d) Make available the information held on the register under Schedule 2;
(e) On completion of the process of registration, issue a certificate of registration containing the:-
· Landlord’s name and address;
· Landlord’s registration number; and
· Period of registration;
(f) Ensure a landlord is notified:-
· 4 weeks in advance of the expiry date held on their current registration certificate, of the conditions to be satisfied for the continued registration; and
· That where he fails to satisfy the conditions for the continued registration by the expiry date on the current registration certificate, he is no longer a registered landlord.
7. (1) The fees payable for registration and continued registration are specified in Schedule 3.
(2) A person who is the owner of a house in multiple occupation which is registered under a House in Multiple Occupation Registration Scheme as provided for under article 75B and C of the housing (Northern Ireland) Order 1992 is not liable to pay a fee under regulation 3.
8. Where a landlord is registered in accordance with regulation 3, the landlord must include his registration number in correspondence in so far as the correspondence relates to the discharge of his functions as a landlord.
9. Information held by the registrar and not included in the register shall, on request from an authorised officer be disclosed to:-
(a) A district council for the purpose of enabling or assisting that council to exercise its functions under any provision of the Private Tenancies (northern Ireland) Order 2006 and Article 54 of the Rent (Northern Ireland) Order 1978;
(b) The Department of Finance and Personnel for the purpose of its function under the Rates (Northern Ireland) Order 1977 or the Rates (Capital Values, etc) (Northern Ireland) Order 2006; or
(c) The Northern Ireland Housing Executive for the purpose of:-
· The administration of housing benefit; and/or
· The regulation of Houses in Multiple Occupation.
Senior Officer of the Department for Social Development
For more details contact
Mid Antrim Properties
02825 651 092